05/28/1848 - Travel to Albany

May 28, 1848

Dear Reader,

I have returned to Columbia from Albany. The trip was rather arduous due to the results of persistent rainy weather. The stage from Columbia to Cherry Valley took a full day due to heavy muddy conditions. I was forced to stay at one of the several inns in the town to await the stage to Albany over the Cherry Valley Turnpike the following morning. 

There were twelve of us in our local delegation. We were put up in the corn-loft of the inn -- two and three to a bed. The warmth of the fire in the hearth below had been a welcome change from the bone-breaking cold of the day's travel but during the night, the heat from our bodies mixed with the rising heat from the tavern turned our sleeping quarters into an oven. The smell of horse manure on boots, the rain soaked wool of our coats and the sweat of my companions complicated all efforts at sleep.


At dawn, with little rest, I was relieved to find that the stage to Albany was on time. We stopped every 10 miles for fresh horses and to pay the family men who serve as toll takers. The road was rough and pock-marked. My back was pained through and through by the necessary two day journey. I can report that we and all the other delegations from the western counties were successful in fighting back the proposed increased taxes on our milk production - but I fear the legislature's never-ending search for increased revenue is now turning a greedy eye towards our cheese manufacturing. 



But enough of that for now. After another two days of misery on the road, I am home in time to attend the social party that will be held in Columbia Centre this coming Friday. The Stauring and Bucklin's Band will supply the music. 



I'm content to report that Mother and Father are well. Little sister, Mary, had a chest cold while I was gone but seems well enough now to be planning to attend the social with Samuel (Fish). I believe they are serious about one another. Father and brother Jacob are keeping a close eye on him. He seems a good sort. Time will tell.

Your Faithful Correspondent,

Chauncey Sherman Seckner

No comments: